2014 Summer Reading - Ninth Grade
To diversify reading, heighten interest in different subject areas and prepare students for the demands of college, all students at the Academy of the Holy Angels are required to complete a summer reading program. Unless otherwise indicated, students will be tested on the assigned works during the first full week of school.
To avoid any confusion on the Summer Reading Program, please refer to your course selection sheet and review the following:
- Students in English 1103 (High Honors) will read all three works.
- Students in English 1102 (Honors) will read the first two works.
- Students in English 1101 (College Prep) will read the first work only.
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
- Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansbury
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
World Language Department
Spanish 1 or 2
To be read in the English translation. Please read carefully and make an outline of each chapter in preparation for the test.
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
French 1 or 2
To be read in the English translation. Read the story and be able to answer questions about: The author: where and when he lived and what other books he wrote.The story: plot, main events and where they took place.
- Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Italian 1 or 2
To be read in the English translation. Before reading the book, read the back cover and author’s note. Be able to answer questions about the author, setting, and main characters.Understand how the chapters are organized. Be able to discuss the theme of nature and how the characters seek out nature. Be able to discuss the tragic comic manner in which the stories always end.Be able to tell the main events in each chapter.
- Marcovaldo by Italo Calvino
Latin 1 or 2
To be read in the English translation. Write a short book report (3-4 pages typed double-spaced) that includes: A brief (one page) synopsis of the story.Two things about Roman History that you learned from the reading.Two things that you learned about Roman Culture (customs, dress, etc.).A brief review of the book (did you enjoy it or not and why).
- Pompeii by Robert Harris
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D.